Isle of Wight Rifles - History - Post War

History

Post war

In 1947 the regiment was reformed as 428 (Mixed) HAA Regt RA The Princess Beatrice's IoW Rifles with three batteries based at Ryde, Newport and Cowes with RHQ at Newport. They were armed with 3.7 HAA Guns and associated radars and predictors. They were briefly at the end years of AA Command and AADUK responsible for the manning of the 5.25 gun sites on the Island. After the demise of AA Command the Rifles were once again renamed, now becoming the "P (Princess Beatrice's IoW Rifles) Battery, 457 Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment Royal Artillery, now equipped with mobile 3.7 guns. When the regiment was equipped with Thuderbird SAMs the battery became P HQ Bty 457 Heavy Air Defence Regt RA TA (The IoW Rifles) The Hampshire Caribineers Yeomanry. The main element of the battery was the Regimental Surveillance Troop with 4 mk 7 & height finding radars They were disbanded in 1967 their remnant becoming a company in the Territorial Army. They had received two Distinguished Service Orders, a Distinguished Conduct Medal, four Military Crosses, seven Military Medals and various mentions in despatches.